Washington rallies from 21 down to edge Utah

Redshirt freshman quarterback Dylan Morris completed a 16-yard touchdown pass to Cade Otton with 36 seconds left in regulation to complete Washington’s 24-21 comeback win Saturday over Utah in the impromptu Pac-12 game at in Seattle.

Washington (3-0) overcame a 21-0 deficit at halftime behind the play of Morris, who finished with 272 yards and two touchdowns on 23 of 38 passing. He was intercepted three times.

The last time Washington overcame a 21-0 halftime deficit was on Nov. 12, 1988, when the Huskies beat California 28-27.

The Huskies’ game-winning drive covered 88 yards in 12 plays in just under four minutes. Morris completed 6 of 9 pass attempts for 71 yards in the drive.

Otton finished with eight catches for 108 yards and two touchdowns.

The Utes (0-2) were originally scheduled to play at Arizona State, but that game had to be canceled because of lingering COVID-19 issues with the Sun Devils.

Washington became available when its Apple Cup rivalry game with Washington State was canceled because of COVID-19 cases within the Cougars’ program.

South Carolina graduate transfer quarterback Jake Bentley started for the first time for Utah after redshirt sophomore Cameron Rising suffered a season-ending shoulder injury last week against USC.

In the first half, Bentley completed 9 of 11 pass attempts for 87 yards with a touchdown, and he rushed for a touchdown to lead Utah to its 21-0 halftime lead.

The Huskies were limited to 127 yards of total offense in the first half. They finished with 360.

Morris and the Huskies came to life in the second half, scoring on the first possession. Kamari Pleasant’s 2-yard touchdown run, set up by Morris’s 38-yard pass to Terrell Bynum, cut Utah’s lead to 21-7 with 12:01 left in the third quarter.

Bentley was then intercepted by Elijah Molden, who returned the ball 24 yards to Utah’s 27-yard line. Peyton Henry eventually made a 26-yard field goal, and Utah’s lead was down to 21-10 with 7:21 remaining in the third quarter.

After Utah turned the ball over on downs at the Washington 41, the Huskies drove for another score. A 21-yard pass from Morris to Otton trimmed the lead to 21-17 with 2:49 left in the quarter.

Utah drove to the Washington 12 before Ty Jordan fumbled, and linebacker Zion Tupuola-Fetui made the recovery.